Rechercher dans ce blog

lundi 20 mai 2024

One Study Will Change How You Think About Your Entire Life

 



my intention is to wake you up to wake


you up to the reality of how time is


passing you by and how much of your time


you're probably spending on things that


are not important to you I want you to


be more intentional about how you spend


your time who you spend your time with


and if you value this wake the hell up


and start prioritizing it time is going


to pass you by no matter what you get to


create what you're doing in the time


that you have I want you to feel


inspired and empowered to get in


intentional about how you're spending


your time because how you spend your


time is what your life is all


about hey it's your friend Mel thank you


so much for being here with me and also


thank you for taking the time to listen


to something that could actually help


you improve your life I think that's


really cool now there is something that


I cannot wait to talk to you about I saw


this 10 yearlong research study it's


called like the American Time study wait


till I


explain what this study tells you about


time and before we jump into that study


I just have to ask you because time is


passing by please hit subscribe my goal


this year is to make sure that everybody


that tunes into this channel 50% of you


are a subscriber it's free it really


helps me bring you new videos every


single day please please please just


take a second hit subscribe and that


would be a huge deal all right you ready


let's jump in there are six shocking


statistics about how you are spending


your time and who you are spending your


time with over the course of your life


and here's why I want to talk to you


about this when I saw this data about


how I'm spending my time over my


lifetime and who I'm spending it with it


was like a wakeup call that lit a fire


under my ass an oh my god when you see


these six takeaways and the data it's


like depressing Ing and inspiring


because what you're going to learn today


is there are critical moments in your


life that change your relationships


forever like for example when you turn


18 the time you spend with your family


and siblings drops off a cliff when you


turn 29 something crazy happens with


friendship when you turn 42 something


else dramatic happens and then again


when you're 50 when you're 60 again when


you're 70 and you are always asking me


for information to help you make your


life better and let me tell you


something today's conversation is


absolutely going to inspire you to do it


so I want to start our talk today by


just asking you a couple questions


they're easy don't worry about it you


don't need a pen or paper you can answer


these in your mind as I ask you you


ready here's the first


one can you name the last five artist


that won artist of the year at the


Grammys me either or what about the last


five companies that were at the top of


the Inc 500


list the last five winners of the


Olympic gold medal in women's


gymnastics


nope me either you want to know why


because it doesn't really matter to the


average person right who cares but I bet


you can name your five favorite people


that you've ever worked


with just stop and think about them


you probably even see their faces pop up


into your


mind or how about the five people that


you always laugh the hardest with like


you know if you're going to see these


five people you are going to have the


kind of laughter where like your head


hurts you're laughing so hard or what


about the five people who had the


biggest impact on your life five


favorite memories with your siblings or


if you don't have siblings five of your


favorite memories with your parents


here's another great thing to think


about think about the five people you


used to spend a ton of time with but you


don't see them anymore but you really do


miss


them you know what's interesting about


all those questions I just asked you I


bet you can answer all of them you can


give me five specific names or five


specific memories for every one of those


questions why well because of how those


people made you feel and that brings me


to today's topic so I mentioned this


research study the research study I want


to talk to you about is called the


American time use survey and it's this


big study where researchers collected


data for over 10 years and here's what


they were looking for they were looking


at how social connections evolve through


the average person's Lifetime and I'm


sure you've heard that saying it's all


over the internet that you are the


average of The Five People You spend the


most time with and there's no doubt that


having healthy


relationships with other people and with


yourself is one of the single most


important pillars of a great life now


what we're going to look at today is


what the research found over 10 years


about who you spend time with over the


course of your lifetime and how that


changes over the course of your lifetime


now one giant caveat is that they only


looked at data over 10 years with a


Americans and regardless of where you're


listening though or whatever your


cultural background might be I guarantee


you there is something that you will


learn in this data that will make you


approach your relationships differently


it will make you look at friendship your


relationship with your parents or your


siblings where you're working your


relationship with your kids with your


partner with yourself in a very


different way


I know it did for me and so here's my


intention with our conversation today my


intention is to wake you up to wake you


up to the reality of how time is passing


you by and how much of your time you're


probably spending on things that are not


important to you and so here's how the


conversation's going to go today I'm


going to walk you through the six key


takeaways and if you want to see the


data and the charts which I think you


would find them very compelling all you


got to do is go to my social media Mel


Robbins that's the handle on all the


accounts or go down to the resources


which we have for every show and we will


link to the post because I want you to


see the grass with your own eyes because


they are so compelling and I got them


right here in my hand okay and when you


see the reality and that's what I want


to hammer into your head and my head the


reality the reality of how time is


impacting your relationships with your


parents your siblings your partner your


friends your kids and your Co co-workers


this is not a fantasy this is the


reality of your life and I want you to


be more intentional from this point


forward about how you spend your time


who you spend your time with that's what


this is about to align your life with


choices that match the reality of how


fast time is going by and look


everything that's already happened


that's in the rearview mirror we cannot


change the past we know that but you can


learn from it and you can learn from


this data and you can take from this


moment and look forward and you can use


the data you're about to learn to change


your life for the better so let's go


through these six crazy statistics on


who you spend your time with over the


course of your life and the first one is


about family so let's talk about your


family I mean everybody loves to


complain about their family don't we in


fact as I record this right now I'm in a


bit of a little like you know tiff with


one of our


kids they haven't talked to me in 48


hours and so I'm not immune to uh the


kind of challenges that can come in


family relationships but this little


tiff pass and I notice that anytime I


post something online about narcissism


or toxic Behavior you guys go crazy over


those kind of posts yeah yeah cut them


out of my life yeah


narcissists but today I want to talk


about the reality and the reality is


your time with your family is limited


and I'm talking about both both your


parents and your siblings your time is


limited and I'm going to break this down


for you because I don't think we stop


and think about this in terms of the


data we think about it in terms of kind


of generally how your life feels but let


me just explain what happens for the


average person from 0 to 18 those are


the years that you will spend the most


amount of time that you have with your


parents and your siblings and sometimes


s that time can feel like a prison but


the truth is when you zoom out and you


really look at the data it's very


sobering here it


is when you turn 18 the amount of time


that you spend with siblings and parents


it basically drops off a cliff and you


know this and it keeps dropping until


you reach about age 26 and when you


reach age 26 based on the


data you are now at a flatline for the


rest of your life that whatever time


you're spending on a daily basis with


your family meaning your parents and


your siblings that's it and if you're


lucky it tops out at less than an hour a


day now for those of you that are part


of a big family farm or you have a big


family business or you're a family where


you have a multigenerational house which


I think is super cool you see your


family a little bit more than average


but I want you to stop and think about


this you never see your family do you


mean we lived a mile from Chris's oldest


brother as we were raising our kids


outside of Boston we never saw them and


Chris and I we would talk about it all


the time why don't we hang out with your


brother Moore it's almost like because


they family you sort of put them in the


box of just defaulting to see them over


the holidays right and here's another


example my mother-in-law she lives three


miles from me now she's 86 and her


social calendar is busier than mine plus


I work full-time I'm lucky


when she's here in Vermont if I see her


once every two


weeks


why I don't know I guess I don't really


prioritize it it's not that I don't like


or I just don't really think about it


and let me just take a giant highlighter


and really put this in perspective about


how fleeting your time is with your


parents and your siblings my dad Bob he


is turning 80 this year his father was


dead by the age of 81 Chris's dad died


at the age of 69 from esophageal cancer


so let's just say I'm lucky and my dad


lives another 10 years now my dad and


mom they live in Michigan so I only see


my dad three or four times a year so


let's put that in the context of how


much time I have with him if he lives 10


years that's 30 more weekends with my


dad


when you do the math that way doesn't it


make you think differently about it like


take my sibling my brother he lives in


Chicago and Derrick's got two twin boys


who are freshmen in high school and his


public high school schedule and our


public high school schedule they are not


on the same breaks ever and so it's not


like we can go on spring break together


plus his kids are in competitive Sports


All Summer Long our son's going to go to


college next year when are we going to


see each other and this isn't


a statistic where I'm trying to guilt


you this is the facts and I don't know


what kind of relationship you have with


your parents or with your siblings so I


want to ask you this question in the


context of this statistic especially as


your parents are getting older if you


think about this moment and you look


forward and you think about the limited


amount of time that you have what kind


of daughter or son do you want to be


from this moment moving on


what kind of a brother or sister do you


want to be from this moment moving


forward and look maybe you've been


listening to The Experts that we've had


on narcissism and difficult people and


you're like that's it I'm cutting them


out but for most of us when you really


stop and think about the reality that


time is slipping through your hands and


this person is the way that they are and


they are the way way that they are


because of their upbringing their past


experiences and their unhealed trauma


and there's nothing you're going to do


to change it but who do you want to


be and I want you to really think about


this this is why I call my parents three


times a week I I just do it to check in


because of who I want to be and I find


personally that the more that I check in


the better our relationship is the more


that they soften the warmer that they


are and I realize why it's because when


I call they don't feel forgotten and it


does make me incredibly sad to think


that I might only spend 30 more weekends


with my dad and look I I need to say my


mom and dad but my dad's older so he's


the one that's top of mine and my mom


just turned 75 she's still kicking so


Mom I need to see you too in case you're


listening and as I'm sitting here I


can't help but think and I bet you're


starting to think this too you know


maybe I should find a weekend uh in the


next month to go down and see them I


mean you just never know right even


though I saw them a couple weeks ago


maybe I should make another plan and I


think that's a big takeaway first of all


your time is


limited do the math and think about how


little time you actually have and the


second big takeaway is always have the


next plan for when you're going to see


them next that helps me a ton to know


that I've got something in the books we


have something look forward to and that


I'm checking in just because that's the


kind of person that I want to be and


it's important that you think about this


because enjoying your relationships is


not just about savoring them and being


grateful that you have the time to have


with them because we all and I I don't


mean to be making fun of being grateful


but it can become very surface level my


message today is look at the data look


at the reality and if you value this


your parents and your siblings


wake the hell up and start prioritizing


it and that's what I've been doing in


fact over the holidays we went on two


back-to-back grandparent trips I don't


know if you've done any of those but


when the big milestone birthday happens


it's pretty awesome Chris's mom turned


85 and so she brought together her three


sons and all the kids which meant nine


cousins six adults and Judy and her


partner on two sailboats it was super


awesome and here's what I realized as we


were all together do you know the last


time time that all 18 of us got together


it was 10 years ago and I bet that's


true with your family too because the


older you get the harder it is to get


everybody together like if I think about


my family on Chris's side nine cousins


they're all over the place we've got


cousins in Texas and Colorado and New


York City and some in college and some


graduate and they're living their lives


it's the reality and it's difficult to


get that many people together and so I'm


proud that we did that for Chris's mom


for her 85th and by the way right after


that we went and spent the weekend with


my entire family to celebrate my mom


75th and if you've ever been at a big


Gathering like that a milestone birthday


for a parent or a grandparent where


everybody's


there I'm willing to bet it's one of the


happiest times you'll ever see him


because it's insanely difficult to get


everyone together once people turn 18


and that is what the state is saying


your time with your family


is incredibly scarce Once you turn 18


take it


seriously and you want to know one thing


I'd love for you to do one way you could


take it seriously share this episode


with your siblings and your parents and


your kids and your favorite niece or


nephew or your cousin or your favorite


aunt and if you're listening to my voice


right now because one of your family


members sent this episode to you the


message from that person in your family


to you that they wanted me to deliver is


this they miss you they love you this


matters so let's get a date on the


calendar and let's get together because


we're going to regret it if we don't and


time is going to keep on going


regardless of what we do with it so make


a date and make it happen I told you


this would be eye openening and sobering


and inspiring and that's just statistic


number one about who you spend your time


with over the course of your lifetime we


have five more statistics to unpack all


of them equally profound the next one is


very eye openening because it's about


what happens to you between the ages of


20 and 60 this 40y year


span during the ages of 20 and 60 who do


you think you're spending most of your


time with the answer will surprise you


and we're going to unpack it when we


come back stay with


us welcome back it's your friend Mel and


you and I are talking about six shocking


statistics I got the graphs right here


in my hand and it's shocking statistics


from a 10-year study on who you spend


your time with over the course of your


life and this really changed a lot for


me it's a study called the American Time


study it's a 10-year study and when I


first saw these six takeaways from the


study it was depressing and then once I


kind of sobered up a little bit from the


depressing news it lit a fire under my


ass and it pushed me to prioritize


certain relationships while I still have


the time to do it now you and I have


already covered takeaway number one


which is when you turn 18 the amount of


time you spend with your parents and


your siblings Falls right off a cliff


and then it flatlines at age 26 for the


rest of your life and if that bothers


you the message is do something about it


this is happening not because your


siblings hate you this is happening


because of how we start to spend our


time as we age there is data that


explains all this but just because this


is the average you don't have to be the


average you got that good so let's dig


into the next five okay and this next


one is really interesting the second key


takeaway shows who you spend the most


time with between the ages of 20 and 60


any


guesses if you guessed your co-workers


bing bing bing bing bing you're right so


what is the takeaway from this well the


takeaway is something that I believe is


really important for you to grasp it's


this the people that you work with day


in and day out have a huge impact on the


quality of your life because based on


Research 40 Years of your life these are


the people you spend the most time with


be choosy it's not just about the money


if you prior prioritize a great work


environment which I want you to do


you're not only going to reach your


financial goals but you will also


surround yourself with co-workers that


create energy in your life and that help


you tap into a deeper potential inside


of you see your co-workers are a net


positive or a net negative and so I want


you to think about this because you know


we think about work in a really selfish


and narrow way what's my job what's my


title how much money do I make how do I


climb the ladder how do I get this how


how do I get that but I want you to kind


of lift your head up and wake up to the


fact that you're going to spend 40 years


in the workforce or volunteering or


doing something outside the house and


the people that you are doing that with


really matter companies are not just


spreadsheets companies are made up of


people so pick good people and one more


thing because I can hear you start to go


but you're not stuck with a boss you're


not stuck with a toxic coworker you're


not stuck where you're working right now


and if I ask you name your three


favorite co-workers that you've ever


worked


with


immediately three faces would pop into


your mind you'd immediately remember


laughing in the breakroom or that all


nighter that you pilled doing something


or some other thing that you did while


you're on the road for work if I asked


you name the most toxic person you've


ever worked with boom bad apple right


there cannot understand that person see


them coming duck into a cubicle oh my


God avoid them like the plague in fact


there's research that shows that person


you're thinking about if they are


festering they can take down an entire


team it's called the Bad Apple effect


this is how important the people around


you are in terms of influencing how you


feel in your day-to-day life and there's


just endless research about why people


leave jobs and one of the biggest


reasons why people leave a job this


comes from Gallup number number one


reason is because they can't stand the


person they work for so here are the


takeaways do not stay in a job you hate


with people you hate do not tell me you


need the money because the fact is if


you have this job paying you this much


money you can find another job in a


better environment that also pays you


that money and I'm not hearing your


excuses I'm not hearing any of the BS


that you're about to spit out that you


can't make it happen or I live in this


place but I'm this years old but that


this is 40 Years of your freaking life


second


if you don't like the people you're


working with be intentional about either


getting out of that company or


cultivating relationships with people in


other departments while you're looking


for another job and finally just like


there can be a bad apple at work be the


ripe Apple don't let the attitude of


where you're working bring down your


attitude because there's always


something you can do and I want to wake


you up to the fact that where you work


and how you feel it works and the people


that you are spending time with are


going to make up 40 Years of your life


and as time is passing and it's going to


keep on passing you get to choose


whether you're going to be in a place


that lifts you up or brings you down and


that's takeaway number two between the


ages of 20 and 60 you spend the majority


of your time with your co-workers so get


serious about where you're


working all right let's go to the Third


statistic and I'm going to warn you the


third statistic right here got the chart


right here this one's a little sad


because it explains why you never see


your friends I want you to reflect on


your own life for a minute can you


pinpoint the


age when you really started to


feel like you didn't see your friends as


much you got that age of


mind


it probably doesn't surprise you when


you hear that for the average


person the time you spend with friends


starts to decline at the age of


21 and over the course of your 20s you


start to see less and less of your


friends and that brings us to the


pivotal age of 29 where all of a sudden


the amount of time that you spend with


your friends on a daily basis drops off


for the rest of your life and for most


people here's what that means your


friends become the group that you spend


the least amount of time with as you age


I'm going to say that again for most


people as you age friends are the group


of people you will spend the least


amount of time with and if you stop and


think about it it kind of makes sense


right I mean just think about your own


experience you saw your friends every


day in middle school and high school or


if you went to college or to trade


school and then what happens you


graduate and maybe for a year some of


you move in together and then exactly


what the data says starts to happen in


your 20s doesn't it everyone starts to


do what you're supposed to do you start


focusing on your own life and creating a


life for yourself maybe you move to a


different city or you have different


roommates or you take a job that takes


you in a new direction or you go to


graduate school and that consumes your


life or you meet somebody and start


falling in love and then you start to


spend more time with them and slowly but


surely it's not the same in fact I see


our daughters going through this right


now they're 25 23 post colle and the


words they use evaporate dispersing


everyone I went to school with is going


in different directions and I really


feel it and based on the data this is


going to keep happening until you turn


29 and unless you do something about


it the amount of time that you're going


to spend with friends after you're 29 it


flatlines why well you now know because


of takeaway number two you're spending


all that time with your co-workers and


as you're going to learn in the next


three


statistics a partner starts to enter the


scene perhaps children if you decide to


have them they start to enter into your


world as well but here's my message this


data is the average but you are not


average this is what happens to people


who are not paying attention who are


just letting life sweep them


Downstream you can create whatever you


want in fact you know as I think about


some of the conversations that we've had


recently you'll probably remember me


saying that one of the main reasons why


people get so stuck and lost in life is


because they don't know what they want


and that's why I was like oh my God I


have to talk to you about the American


Time study I have to share these


statistics with you because I want to


wake you up and make you


realize that this data is reflective of


what's happening in your life and if


you're feeling lonely or you've lost


touch with friends and it bothers you


you don't have to live like that if you


don't want to be in a crappy work


environment you don't have to let it


Define your life for a decade if you


like your family and you really want to


see them and you kind of you got to make


it a priority I'm not immune to any of


this data either I mean I feel like my


friendships evaporated and I also feel I


don't know if you feel this way maybe


this is something that happens when you


get older but I tend to feel like the


people that I like also would prefer to


be in bed on a Friday night you know I'm


the kind of person that I can text you


at 935 p.m. and be sound asleep at 9:37


so having this framework and having


these statistics and these graphs that


you can check out and the resources it


really helped me because I'm like oh


it's not just me oh this makes a lot of


sense oh this is what happens in life


when you're not really intentional about


what you you want and so let me share a


framework with you that has really


helped me around friendship because I do


want to see my friends but this


framework will really simplify it you


ready when you think about friendship


think about twps and I'm talking about


cultivating friendships so you are going


to be friends naturally based on the


first p and the first p is patterns so


when you have overlapping patterns in


your life you tend to become friends


with people for example you show up at


work every single day that's a pattern


you tend to become friends with people


at work because you have an overlapping


pattern another one your kids are


playing on the same sports team there's


a pattern another one maybe you've taken


a pickle ball and you're in the same


league or you're taking an introduction


to pickle ball class there's a pattern


you can become friends with those people


you frequent the same coffee shop


there's another pattern that overlaps


you with other people and makes it


easier for you to become friends now


that brings me to the second


you're only going to see the people and


become friends with people that you


prioritize period end of story because


even if you have all these patterns in


your life and you bump into people at


the coffee shop or at work or you stand


next to them on the sidelines unless you


prioritize it you make a dinner date you


invite them to a painting class at the


local Museum it doesn't happen and you


don't always need to make new friends


based on the patterns most of the people


that I love and that you love they


probably don't live anywhere near you I


know it's annoying but you've got to


make it a priority to create a plan to


get together once a year that's it


patterns prioritize otherwise what after


29 you're screwed it drops off a cliff


and you're not going to see these people


it's happening for everybody but it


doesn't have to happen for you so that


covers the first three statistics and


there are three more incredible time


truths about who you spend your time


with over the course of your life and if


this last one about friends or the


family was like oh God that's so


depressing I don't know if I can keep


listening you better keep listening


because there's a whole lot of good news


coming up and the whole point of this


conversation is for me to get you to


truly stop time for a minute and ask


yourself what do I actually want what do


I want to feel in my life who do I want


to see in my life who do I want to


surround myself in my life who is a


priority moving forward and I think


you're starting to get my main message


loud and clear time is going to pass you


by no matter what you get to create what


you're doing in the time that you have


so coming up we're going to talk about


what happens when you turn 29 yes your


friendships fall off the cliff in


Flatline but something else interesting


happens there's actually a person that


you will be spending more and more time


with for the rest of your life and we're


going to talk about who that person is


when we come back stay with us welcome


back it's your friend Mel Robbins and


you and I are talking about the American


Time study and six shocking statistics


on who you spend your time with over the


course of your lifetime and you've


already learned that at the age of 18


the time you spend with your parents and


siblings drops off a cliff unless you do


something about it I hope you have


already forwarded them this episode


you're probably thinking also about the


fact that statistic number two 40 Years


of your life you're going to spend it


with your co-workers and now you're


thinking as you're driving to work oh my


God I got to look for a different job or


hope you're thinking I I'm the luckiest


person on the planet I work with people


that I love how cool is this we've also


just unpacked the third statistic about


friendship and how friendships basically


Peak at the age of 18 meaning the amount


of time you spend every day with them


and as you get older it gets harder and


harder and harder to spend time with


friends unless you pay attention to the


twps I taught you what are the patterns


in your life and who are are you making


it a priority to spend time with take


the initiative and I just want to remind


you again that this awareness of these


trends of how you're spending time


self-awareness is the foundation of


creating a better life because if you


don't know what the issue is you're


never going to be able to solve it and


the issue is simply that we all just go


through life and let time pass Us by you


have the opportunity From This Moment


forward forward to be the architect of


building a life that makes the most of


the time that you have and just because


these are the trends in data and these


reflect what most people are


experiencing it doesn't mean that these


need to be the trends in your life and I


was so personally moved by this data


that I wanted to share it with you


because I believe that knowing this it


will Empower you to make very meaningful


changes I think everybody needs to hear


hear this I think everybody is


struggling with this and kind of feeling


it but not really understanding the


context and to me when I look at the


stuff that we've already talked about no


wonder loneliness is an epidemic because


nobody understands why it's happening


when you see it over the course of a


lifetime in terms of the trends of how


you're spending your time and who you're


spending it with you start to see oh oh


of course you become lonelier unless you


do something about it and if you don't


understand what's happening in the


background you think you're the problem


and you're not the problem it's not true


the problem is that time is passing and


the more that time passes the more you


just kind of go with it and I want you


to do the opposite I want you to feel


inspired and empowered to get


intentional about how you're spending


your time because how you spend your


time is what your life is all about and


that brings me to the fourth takeaway


which is that your life partner is


probably the single most important


decision you will ever make this is that


statistic at about age 29 there is a


person that enters your life or multiple


people as you're dating around that you


start to spend more and more and more


time with as you age and here's the


thing I want you to understand do not


rush this decision do not get married to


someone who you know in your gut is


probably not the right person but you


kind of feel like you should do it


because everybody's getting married and


you're getting to be that a age and


you're starting to get a little worried


do not settle because the time you spend


with your partner


increases every single year until the


day of your death and after age


60 this person that is your life partner


they really matter because it's the


person you will spend the majority of


your time with for the rest of your life


and that's kind of a great test like if


you're dating somebody right now don't


look at the person who's standing in


front of you right now you know with the


nice car and the fake tan and the group


of popular friends and the really cool


profile on hinge no ignore what's in the


present close your eyes and ask yourself


this is this


person like at their core is this person


on the inside who I would want to be


alone with every day day in and day out


when I'm


60 and I want to remind you of the


questions about naming your five


favorite memories with friends or


family what do they all have in


common those memories about your


favorite friends or the people that make


you laugh the loudest or memories with


your siblings they're all about how


someone makes you


feel and when you are choosing a partner


dear


God focus on how they make you feel the


looks are going to fade the friends that


seem all shiny and popular they're going


to disappear into the background you


know that happens in the 20s and it's


hard to keep up with friends as you're


an adult but this human being and how


they make you feel this is what you're


signing up for for the rest of your life


and if you're single what we're about to


talk about next is really important to


embrace right now because the very best


relationship advice I can give you about


choosing a partner to do life with is to


choose life with yourself first and by


that I mean do whatever you need to be


doing in your day-to-day life right now


so that you really like yourself and


that you are proud of yourself as a


person you're proud of your character


you're proud of how you take care of


yourself how you talk to yourself the


way that you spend your time because


when you get the inside right that


relationship with yourself in terms of


how you feel about yourself you're not


going to be swayed by the bright shiny


popular people you're going to be


attracted to people with true character


someone who is worth going the distance


with and that brings me to the fifth


statistic about who you spend your time


with over the course of your lifetime


and it's this that when you hit 40 years


old the amount of time that you spend


alone climbs and climbs and


climbs that means from 40 on the number


number of hours per day that you are


alone is going to increase those 30


years every single year from the age of


50 to 80 based on the data you are alone


every day more often and for most people


after age 70 you're alone most of the


time every day well not me I am going to


an old person's home you know like one


of those places it's like college for


old people back to the dorms hanging out


with people I'm not going to sit alone


in this house but joking


aside this is a huge


takeaway and the first takeaway is I


want to normalize that it is normal to


find yourself spending more and more


time by yourself and for me this can be


a really positive thing because this is


not a message about you needing to look


out into the future and going oh my God


I'm going to be alone and I'm lonely no


this is about the need to learn to enjoy


time with yourself


because when you're really present to


being with


yourself whether you're making a cup of


tea or reading a book or taking a walk


in the woods think about it you're not


by yourself you're with yourself I'm


with myself a lot I'm in my car driving


alone I'm often at my house or working


remote alone I'm down in my kitchen


making lunch alone I'm heading out the


door to go for a walk and yeah maybe


YOLO and homie my dogs May may be there


but there's no other human being I'm


spending time with myself but here's the


thing and this is what the opportunity


is for you I don't feel lonely I enjoy


spending time with myself and that's


what's available to you and when I do


start to feel like something's missing


or I feel a little lonely because I have


a good relationship with myself I can


see that oh wow like I'm missing


connection and I can go back to the twps


I either got to change my patterns of


behavior so I start bumping into people


again or I've got to prioritize reaching


out and that almost always solves the


problem so the big takeaway here is


learn how to love yourself and enjoy


yourself and be kind to yourself learn


how to sign yourself up for a yoga class


and take yourself to it learn how to


reach out to friends when you're feeling


a little lonely and be the one that is


doing that for yourself do that for


yourself learn how to take yourself out


to lunch or for a manicure learn how to


be kinder to yourself learn how to find


Happ happiness in the time you spend


alone and you will enjoy the time that


you have now the final


statistic on who you spend the most time


with over the course of your life this


one is about kids and it broke my heart


and you can probably guess what the


statistic is going to say now that you


know take away one remember take away


one which is that once you turn 18 the


time that you spend on a daily basis


with your parents and your siblings boom


drops right off a cliff and by the time


you are in your 20s that number has


flatlined and unless you do something


dramatic it's not


changing and here's how that translate


to our final


statistic when you become a parent


depending upon when you first become a


parent the majority of the time that you


have with your kids will happen in your


30s and 40s and for most of us there is


a precipitous drop that happens in your


40s as your kids enter high school and


they become more and more independent


you see less and less of them the busier


they get the less and less of them and


that's supposed to happen I mean they're


supposed to make friends they are


supposed to go build a life of their own


and then they turn 18 A lot of them go


off to college or a trade school and


here's the sad


news based on the data when you turn 52


that number which is the amount of time


you spend with your kid flatlines and


that's where it stays the rest of your


life and it is shockingly similar to how


little time you spend with your own


parents or


siblings now when I first read


that


I beat myself up because I'm 55 right


now that window of time is closed it's


over my kids are long launched Oakley


leaves for college in the fall still


trying to figure out where but he's


going and if I reflect back on those 0er


to 18 years I spent way too many years


of their childhood working I was


traveling for work I missed out on so


many Milestones so many sports matches


so much in-person


time however I love knowing this


statistic and here's why I'm not


allowing myself to become a statistic in


this regard because here's the thing


there is something you can


do you can become more proactive about


going to your kids you can become more


proactive about creating and sustaining


that relationship with them as adults


yes the whole point of parenting is to


help your children grow up and become


who they're meant to be which means your


job is as a guide and a coach through


life it means helping your children


understand who are they what do they


value what are the implications of their


decisions what are their passions who do


they want to be and if you take that


approach that your kids are supposed to


become independent human beings who are


going to leave you and go Build A Life


That's What success looks like you can


still do that and not lose


connection and how do you do that well


based on every expert that's ever been


on this show it seems like the advice is


the exact same do your kids feel seen do


they feel safe and do they feel


supported by you because if your kids


feel seen and safe and supported by you


guess what they're not going


anywhere and I want you to stop and


think about your own experience with


your parents when you


think of your Fondest Memories as a


child I bet it's in those moments where


you felt safe or seen or


supported that's the glue and the same


is true with your kids if I were to ask


your kid what are your Fondest Memories


of childhood I guarantee you at the top


of the list are those moments where you


made them feel safe seen and supported


that's the secret to everything if you


have a complicated relationship with


your parents or a sibling right now I


bet you feel none of those things with


them it is all


about how people make you feel and that


means you have some control here you


know and the interesting thing is is


that I don't know about you but I found


that the older that my kids get even


though they' physically left they have


not left emotionally it's like they need


me more but they need me in a different


way they don't need me to drive them


somewhere they don't need the money what


they need is someone that they trust


somebody who they know they can go to


and get the support that they need that


they can talk to run ideas by to call to


laugh to talk through an issue with it's


a different relationship and honestly I


enjoy this part of parenting way more


than when they were little I am not the


best parent for little kids but I am I'm


loving this adult parenting thing which


by the way here's my secret plan to not


be a statistic I'm going to rope my kids


into business with me because then I can


turn them into my co-workers which means


I'm going to see them a ton between the


ages of 20 and 60 see how you can make


the data work for you or against you


it's never too late and that's the other


thing here when you know what you're


dealing with in terms of what the actual


issue is you can solve the right problem


the more that your kids or your parents


or your siblings feel seen and supported


the closer you're going to be and by the


way it's never too late to apologize I


feel personally like I apologize all the


time for things that I screwed up way


back when or screwed up yesterday or


could do a little bit better and it


doesn't weaken your relationship it


actually makes it stronger so there you


have it six surprising statistics about


who you spend your time with over the


course of your your lifetime and here's


one thing I'm going to ask of you please


send this episode to anybody in your


family or a former co-worker or a friend


you've lost touch with as a way to reach


out and get closer to the people that


you love do not become a statistic


become seriously intentional about how


you spend the time that you have and who


you spend it with and on that note I got


to wrap up our conversation because our


son Oakley is a ski racer and he has a


race this afternoon and there is no way


in hell I am going to miss it why


because time is slipping through my


fingers he turned 18 this year and I


know how good it feels when someone


shows up I mean think about it when


you're dead nobody stands up at a


funeral and says boy I wish they would


have worked more


hours but they will remember that you


always showed up when you could so thank


you for showing up today and spending


time with me and thank you for choosing


to listen to something and to learn


about something that I believe will


truly change how you spend the rest of


your life and in case no one else tells


you I wanted to tell you that I love you


and I believe in you and I believe in


your ability to create a better life now


go do it I'll talk to you in a few days


and for you on YouTube I'm going to tell


you I love you and I believe in you and


I believe in your ability to create a


better life thank you thank you thank


you for being here please please please


take a moment and subscribe it's a huge


way that you can support me and support


this show please share this message with


your friends and your family it's going


to make a huge difference and I know


you're thinking okay um the adult


friendship thing Mel I need more


information good I thought you did


you're going to love watching this next


it's the podcast episode we did called


the lies about adult friendship and the


truth you need to


hear


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Article épinglé

Qu'est-ce que le harcèlement moral au travail ?