Rechercher dans ce blog

mercredi 22 mai 2024

Money stories the beginning of your financial Independence.





What if I told you that retiring at 25.


Is the new 65 or at least it could be


today .I'm joined by Cody Burman who was


financially free at age 25 and while he


may still work he puts emphasis on


passive income not active income giving


him the freedom to enjoy his life as he


sees fit I can't wait for you to hear


how he did it and see how you can


recreate his journey too con thanks so


much for being here I am so excited


about this Mindy it has been way too


long since we chatted especially on


recorded mic and sharing the FI wisdom


with all these people I love it I love


it okay Cody let's go back to the


beginning of your financial Independence.


Journey how old were you when you first


started thinking hey maybe I don't have


to work until I'm 65 so I was really


fortunate to get thrown into this whole


Community into this whole mindset really


early on so when I was 19 I was a


sophomore in college I read the 4-Hour


Work Week my Mom hated me that book she


just had an inkling that I would like it


so I read it and my whole world was


turned upside down before I had read


that book IID always thought of someone


being rich or someone being wealthy as


someone who made a lot of dollars per


hour you hear of doctors you hear of


lawyers like can I make $500 per hour


they make $200 per hour that person's


Rich Tim Ferris the author of The 4-Hour


Work be just flipped that whole


narrative on his head and he taught me


that your money and time don't have to


be linearly related like you don't have


to trade your dollars or trade your


hours for dollars you could actually


build up these passive income Vehicles


whether it's through real estate or the


stock market or digital products or


business all these different things you


trade your time energy or money for


something build some passive income


thing up front and then you kind of reap


the benefit of that thing for years and


decades to come so that was the


beginning for me I love it what did you


do after you got finished with the


4-Hour Work Week what changes did you


make in your life brainstormed a million


different business ideas so I actually


had two failed businesses I don't talk


about too too much I had this idea for a


tutoring business I done some tutoring


in high school made decent money I was


going to have like a tutoring Empire I


was going to hire my buddies and you


know I was going to be taking the margin


in between what I was charging the


clients and what I was paying them


didn't work out for whatever reason


maybe I just wasn't motivated enough I


couldn't find enough people who wanted


to do it for me another idea that I had


still I think it's the best idea ever


was this company called sleeveless and


it was a a Peril company but every


single piece of clothing didn't have


sleeves so collared shirt no sleeves


hoodie no sleeves a regular shirt no


sleeves so I had this like grand plan I


even went and reached out to


manufacturers on Alibaba and they're


like so what do you want for your


minimum order quantity 1,000 or 5,000


and I was like okay I'm not doing this


so


um and then I know we've talked about


this before in other podcasts in person


is the first one that actually did work


was my disc golf company so I created a


dis golf manufacturing company that was


that same year after those two failed


business ideas and that was kind of


where I got my spark and where I learned


honestly a lot of the entrepreneurial


things that I know today so achieving fi


at such a young age is a huge


accomplishment and we need to celebrate


that yay Cody you're the greatest um and


I know that you're the king of the side


hustle which means that your income


month-to Monon is pretty varied what was


your yearly income at the beginning of


your F journey and did it evolve at all


yes so the beginning of my five Journey


so I was 19 when I discovered the 4-Hour


Work week and then that kind of led me


down the rabbit hole Mr Money Mustache


and the mad scientist and you guys Mr


1500 and just this whole world that's


why we met at campfi 2018 back in


January 2018 I was 21 years old I really


started making actual money though so I


was in college at that time when I


graduated college so that first year out


of college 2018 I think I ended the year


making


$444,000 or something like that because


it I started work in July and worked


till the end of the year I was working a


corporate banking job and yeah so that


was that first I made like 44,000 bucks


okay and then as you got farther into


your passive income like you didn't have


just a job and one passive income stream


what was what was the height of your


income before you decided that you were


officially financially independent


probably almost $400,000 the tax return


on that year was like in a year


yeah so I definitely want to put a heavy


emphasis on it is extremely important if


you want to hit fi really really early


the gap between your income and your


expenses has to be astronomical I mean


for me to start earning money at 21 22


and then hit five by 25 yeah I'm not


going to try to sugarcoat it like it's


it might not be 100% rep repeatable for


everyone but the bigger you can get the


gap between your income and your


expenses the faster that you're going to


be able to hit Financial Freedom


absolutely agree with that so what are


you spending Cody with your $400,000 a


year income I was spending around


$25,000


so my savings rate was like 92 or 93% it


was


[Laughter]


Insanity from 22 to 25 I did not upgrade


my lifestyle whatsoever when I was 26 I


did a little bit once I quote unquote


hit fi but it was just absolute grind


years for me it was like working all the


time saving as much as I possibly could


and investing the difference okay and to


anybody who is reading saying oh you


can't live on $25,000 a year yes you


absolutely can now is he living the most


luxurious lifestyle possible probably


not with tracking expenses is all also


you know kind of goes hand inand with


removing things that you are not finding


joy in to quote Marie condo so what did


you give up when you were on your


journey to financial independent so me


and my now wife then girlfriend we


actually got this advice from I don't


even remember what podcast I wish I


should give proper attribution but we


wrote down the 10 things that we value


the most independently on a piece of


paper and then we came together and it


was like time with family time with


friends time with each other working out


travel eating good food and so we look


at our list and we're like okay this is


our North Star let's spend our money on


the on the things that are actually on


this list what wasn't on that list a MC


Mansion what wasn't on that list driving


a super nice car what wasn't on that


list you know going to the club every


weekend so it was like okay the things


that did cost money on that list was


like food TR


we still did those smarter I know you


mentioned travel hacking before and we


were really intentional our groceries


and we have some hacks for saving money


on restaurants but that's where we would


spend our money so if it's helpful


actually have the numbers cuz my


expenses from like 22 to 25 age 22 to 25


pretty much stay exactly the same and uh


I have them right here if that's helpful


for listeners yes absolutely I want


these expenses okay and you'll see it's


it's reflective of what I was just


saying like we're spending more on the


the food and the travel and


entertainment and stuff okay so right


after college I actually moved to Boston


which might some people might think is


that a super high cost living City well


yes if you're living in a one-bedroom


apartment and seport but so I was


splitting a three-bedroom house $2,700 a


month and so each room was 900 and I was


actually splitting a room so my rent was


450 oh so it was like wasn't ideal I


could literally roll over and touch my


buddy in the middle of the night if I


wanted to like he was we were that close


our our room was not big and I I did it


for a couple years um fortunately then I


ended up like house hacking and buying a


house and we can get into that too but


that I just made it work like I didn't


have I didn't have the money for a house


hack I wanted to live in a city I wanted


to experience a big city but I was doing


it for a fraction of the cost by sharing


a room with someone so that was housing


is 450 Transportation I still drove the


same paid off truck that I had been


driving for years at that point so


Transportation was just gas and


insurance which was on average $300 a


month food this is groceries plus


restaurants about $500 a month which may


seem I guess high or low depending on


who you are this is just me as a single


guy then like 250 for health insurance I


just got that off the Massachusetts


exchange and that's actually a big point


of contention with a lot of people a lot


of people think once they quit their


corporate job because we can get into


that as well I quit my corporate job


seven months in I had to go and find my


own health insurance and I'm like oh man


I've heard so many people talk about


like Cobra and it's going to cost $1,000


per month it was $250 for health and


dental 250 wasn't wasn't do at all


travel and entertainment was on average


$300 so this is like concerts this is


going on weekend trips this is sometimes


going on logger trips and then the last


category was about $200 in miscellaneous


which was just like random stuff whether


it was Tech or clothes or just something


that didn't fit in all these other


expense categories so $2,000 a month or


$244,000 a year so that's where that


number comes from what is the Phrase


live like no one else now so you can


live like no one else later I'm sure you


got people saying you know oh why are


you so cheap did you ever hear people


say that all the time cuz I had a pretty


high-powered corporate banking job like


right out of the gate right out of


college I was making 80 grand a year


people are still see me drive the same


truck and I'm sharing a room in Boston


they're like what are you doing why


don't you like lease a car why don't you


get the newest model why don't you


upgrade and live in this nice apartment


I'm like well I'm trying to hit


Financial Freedom like I I had it all


mapped out and like I need to keep my


savings rate at this percentage I'm


trying to invest this much every month


and those are two things I don't


particularly care about like I can


sacrifice now I lived like I lived in a


dump in college like I can keep that up


for a couple more years it's not a big


deal take advantage of your youth if


you're listening to this you're in your


20s you're in your 30s and you're you're


still sluming it and you're cool with


that and you haven't inflated your


lifestyle at all use that to your


advantage don't don't be down on


yourself and be like oh man I wish I had


the nice car the nice apartment you


actually have a leg up on the people who


have the nice car and the nice apartment


because their fixed expenses are so much


higher and it's harder for them to get


that so important that gap between their


income and their expenses to invest yeah


yes and now those same people who five


years ago were saying Cody why don't you


get a nicer car and have a nicer nicer


clothes and live in a nicer place are


now saying gosh Cody how did you do it


it's not that hard it's not that easy it


takes work but it's not that hard you


have income and you spend less than that


that's how you get to Financial Freedom


I just don't want to pretend that I


didn't get lucky because during this


time I don't this is one number I


actually didn't have written down but I


think it was 2019 the stock market


returned like 27% or 30% or something so


I'm plowing all of this extra money into


the stock market that's just going


berserk like I definitely got lucky like


right place right time but like you said


it's the fundamentals I just want people


to a lot of people hear my story and


they're like that's not repeatable he


got lucky it's like of course I got


lucky but I know you like this phrase


I've heard Scott use this phrase in your


podcast before I like to increase my


surface area of luck the bigger that I


could get the gap between my income and


expenses the more things that I could


try with entrepreneurship the more


people I met the more my surface area of


luck expanded so yes of course I got


luckier because I had more surface area


of luck I had more ways to take


advantage of these opportunities as they


came my way yeah but also you took


advantage of the opportunities let's


talk about investing where are you


putting this money Cody for the first


couple of years so 2018 2019 and most of


2020 all of that money was just going


into the stock market and different


buckets so I was maxing out my IR a I


was contributing to my work 401K for a


little bit and then a solo 401K so I was


using all my tax advantage vehicles and


then I was putting basically the rest


into a brokerage account these are all


just in lowc cost index funds so


basically just like total stock market


index fund I think I had a little bit of


like International exposure with an


international stock index fund that was


really it that was really the strategy


for the first couple years and then I


started getting into real estate toward


the like Q3 of 2020 okay and what sort


of real estate are you buying long-term


rentals so this is kind of when the


whole house hacking thing begun so sick


of living in Boston I was like it's too


much traffic there's too many people


around I want to just kind of get back


to the suburbs I'm from central


Massachusetts it was cool living in the


big city for a year but I just wanted to


get back to my roots so I actually


started looking back near my hometown in


Central Mass and the prices just didn't


make any sense like I was looking at the


price to rent ratios I was a huge fan of


Bigger Pockets just consuming content


all the time and it just didn't make


sense like a lot of the properties would


maybe e out the 1% rule but I'm like I


don't know the numbers just don't seem


as flashy as what I'm seeing online from


some of the other people's in these


forums so I had a buddy recommend he's


like hey look over the border to


Connecticut so I look in Connecticut and


the price of rents are just fantastic


like this is amazing so we we meaning me


and my then girlfriend now wife Lauren


we bought a three family down in


Connecticut uh we lived in the basement


unit so we lived in a one bed one bath


and then above us was a split duplex


with three bed and one bath on each side


so at that point my housing went from me


paying 450 a month to us actually


bringing in $700 a month over all the


expenses it was nuts because we were


living in that tiny unit and renting out


the larger part of the house I love that


I think a lot of people think of house


hacking is I have to have a roommate or


I have to live in you know I bought this


duplex that's not equally spaced like


this it's three bedrooms it's it's only


one bedroom that I have to live in the


big one you can live in the small one


you could rent out that whole big one


and and make even more money so Cody did


you have a fi number that you were


pursuing at the start this is a really


good question at the start I was going


after what I call the traditional Nest


Egg method so just a rewind there's two


main methods methods to hit five there's


like the traditional Nest Egg where you


save up 25 times your expenses or it's


called the 4% rule if you're spending


40K a year 25 times that you need a


million dollars invested and you could


take 4% of that every year to live on


which is how you get your 40K 4% rule


25x whatever way you want to swing


the other way this is what a lot of


people in the bigger pocket Community


I'm sure are doing is cash flow


Financial independent so once you get to


a point where you're passive or mostly


passive cash flow can cover your cost of


living then you're financially


independent at that point so my original


goal the reason I'm giving this huge


Preble my original goal was to go the


traditional route I was going to save up


25 times my expenses I was hoping for


like a million or maybe a million five


invested and at that point I could spend


you know 40 to 60 Grand a year whatever


my expenses were looking like but then I


stumbled into real estate and I had


talked to so many people and interviewed


a bunch of people and they were hitting


fine like two years off real estate I'm


like okay I'm missing out I'm doing the


slow method I'm I'm just doing


traditional 4% roll F let me try this


real estate thing so we actually ended


up buying this sounds crazy but again


remember I was


making 10x or more than that 15x what my


expenses were during that last year


before I quote unquote hit fi lot of


disposable income we ended up buying 11


units that year so the year we bought


that first house hack a month later we


bought a duplex like a couple months


after that we bought another three


family couple months after that we


bought another three family so by the


end of that calendar year we had ended


up buying 11 rental units and after all


expenses were said and done it we were


we were getting we were netting like


between $3,000 and $3,500 a month so I


had outlaid a huge chunk of cash


probably close to 350 or 400k in down


payments on all these different


properties from money that I had saved


up and at the time my stock market


Investments were like around 500k so my


net worth is like pretty close to a


million I hit the million Mark right


before my 26th birthday so I can I can


officially say I hit it 25 um but I'm


mathing this out for I'm mathing this


out for you fire nerds out there so at


the point where I like I kind of hit


this Milestone the five the million Mark


I had like 500k in the stock market so


with the 4% rule I'm like okay I can


spend about 20K a year from this little


bundle then we had our rental properties


and we were netting let's just use the


conservative number three grand a month


from them so I'm like okay cool like we


have five grand a month that we can


spend that's 60 Grand a year our


expenses right now are way way less than


that I think we just hit Financial


Freedom and so that's how uh that's how


all that kind of mathed out so yeah


you're generating $3,000 a month in cash


flow while spending


$2,000 for yourself that is the Delta


you're making more than you need and


that's real estate is not truly passive


but when you're buying right and you've


got great properties with tenants that


are paying their rent then that's


Financial Freedom so Cody what do you


think are some of the biggest


misconceptions of financial Independence


I think a lot of people think it's


deprivation whereas hopefully people


don't hear this story and think that I


was depriving myself cuz we can go back


and I was actually going to talk about


this today a little bit I mentioned some


of these expense categories it's not


like I'm just shutting myself in my


apartment not going out not hanging out


with friends not traveling not doing


these things I'm just finding a smarter


way to do it so for traveling I'm using


credit card points to do travel hacking


I'm staying in airbnbs with credit card


points I'm booking hotels with credit


card points for food instead of going


out and me and Lauren getting a couple


drinks each and getting an app and two


Entre like sometimes we used to just go


out and we'd get an entree and an app


and split them and that was it and we


wouldn't go get any drinks but we'd


still have fun with our friends like


we'd still be going out I remember also


going to the bar and people would be


spending $100 a night going out to the


bar it's like I just pregamed and I'd


only buy one or two drinks at the bar so


I was still doing all of the things it


was just I was finding a slightly more


optimal way to do them so yeah I just I


don't want people to think that they


hear this story and they like oh man


like I'm just going to buckle down like


don't sacrifice life for fi that's not


the point you're missing the point if


that's what you try to do you have to


build your dream life as you're going


down the financial Independence path I


think there's a huge misconception


actually a lot of people think once they


hit some magic number that all of their


wildest dreams are going to come true


all their goals they're finally going to


start going after them it's like if you


want to learn Spanish if you want to get


in shape if you want to have a better


relationship and you think any of those


things are just going to start happening


the second you hit fi you are extremely


misinformed like you could be learning


Spanish while you're at your day job


maybe you can only do 30 minutes a week


maybe you can only work out three times


a week maybe you can only allocate a


certain amount of time to hang out with


your partner or spouse while you're in


that day job but once you hit Financial


Independence yes you have some of that


time back but it's not like you're just


going to all of a sudden start forming


these new habits so you really have to


intentionally start thinking about that


dream life during the journey and then


as you get more money as you get more Fu


money and you can start to take some of


your time back and make decisions that


benefit you then you can start to build


more you're like hey you now I have a


now I have a little bit more leeway now


I can allocate some more time to working


out now I can allocate some more time to


learning Spanish now I can allocate some


more time to the relationship it's it's


a it's like a linear Journey it's not


just like a it's not a one and a zero


where all of a sudden you hit five and


all these magical things happen so I see


that a lot people don't know what


they're retiring to they don't have a


plan for when they hit that number


absolutely I could not underlined what


you just said enough I was going to ask


you what advice you have for somebody


who wants to pursue Financial


Independence but that just kind of hit


it I mean I get some more advice if you


want we can we can pry some more advice


out of me I guess Cody this is the all


you show hit me with all the advice okay


so something that I didn't realize early


on like I said at the very beginning I


used to always think that rich people


people were just people who made really


high dollars per hour the doctors the


lawyers the you know $500 per hour


whatever start focusing all of your time


energy and money on things that will


generate returns for you whether or not


you're working on them down the road so


I know I gave some examples earlier but


real estate is a great example of that


investing your money into index funds


another good example digital products


another good example if you can become


like a passive owner in a small business


another great example if you don't put


your money to work for you if you just


have it sitting in a checking account if


you just have it you know sitting on the


sidelines not making money for you


somehow then you're going to be working


forever and it doesn't always have to be


money like there's ways where you can


actually use other resources like I


think I mentioned at the beginning with


the Tim Ferris thing you can invest your


time you can invest your energy and then


the third thing is money so if you don't


have money if you're someone who's young


and listening to this or maybe you're


older and starting your journey and


you're living paycheck to paycheck start


to use some of that time on during the


nights or during your weekends to build


that s Hustle to to launch that thing to


launch that passive income product


whatever that looks like to you there's


a lot of ways to do it but use whatever


resources you have and just throw it all


at building these passive income


machines that pay you whether or not


you're working because once you have


this money coming in that comes in


regardless of whether or not you're


working on it that is the moment you be


become financially free and then you can


build your dream life then you can spend


the time doing the things that light you


up doing the things that get you excited


every morning I love that oh Cody that


is a great place to end except I want


people to be able to find you online so


where can people find you to hear more


of your Amazing Ideas.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Article épinglé

Qu'est-ce que le harcèlement moral au travail ?