Rechercher dans ce blog

mercredi 22 mai 2024

I Quit Banking Job After Learning 3 Things reel story learn from it




 I'm about to resign I'm also letting go


of a sixf figure


bonus a sixf figure sign on that's Beau


be paid to me in March I've just sent my


manager I'm shaking. I've just sent my


manager a message to have a chat this


morning


so let's see how it


goes. I spent the last nine years


climbing the corporate ladder getting


promoted taking on more responsibilities


asking for pay Rises negotiating bigger


bonuses and then earlier this year..

 I decided to walk away I decided to leave


investment banking for good and to date


it was the hardest decision I've ever


had to make and making it just two


months before receiving what would have


been the largest bonus of my career


probably makes it seem like I had lost


my mind to anyone on the outside the


truth is that even I didn't know if I


was making the right decision or if


everything think would turn out okay but


what I didn't know is that if I didn't


take the chance. I would live to regret


it as Obama famously said you don't have


to be 100% certain to make a decision


gather all the ideas the information


gather all the perspectives to get you


21% and once you reach that point make


the decision and find peace in the fact


that your choice was based on the


information that you had at that time


hopefully by sharing with you what got


me to the 51% it will give you the


courage to make


do the


same throughout the 9 years I spent in


banking there were a handful of people


who I really enjoyed working with and


one of those people was a woman who


worked in the same team as me she had


been doing the job for nearly 20 years


she loved what she did and she kind of


took on this mental role with me


she told me how things were done she sat


back with me after work to answer my


questions she gave me the lowdown on all


the office politics and then about 7


months after I joined the bank one


evening in the office her phone rank she


picked up put the phone down and walked


away from her desk and as soon as she


left my manager called me into another


room he told me I had just been promoted


and then explained the details of my new


position I told him that it sounded very


similar to her role and that we're now


covering the exact same clients so


what's the difference and he clarified


that she was with HR and had just been


let go at a time where I should have


been celebrating I just got promoted I


found myself in a situation that was


completely the polar opposite and it


changed my whole perspective on


professional life I learned that the


company you work for ultimately doesn't


owe you anything but a paycheck and in


this particular instance yes great I was


on the fortunate side but next year the


tables could turn and who's to say I


won't be on the other side they say


You're only as good as the hours you can


dedicate when you're working for someone


else and the amount that you earn is


directly tied to your time but the issue


is that even your time isn't in your


control and I realize that I can never


truly be financially independent and


financially free so long as I'm letting


someone else have more control over my


financial life than I


do the first few years of working in a


corporate they were fun they were


intellectually stimulating I was


learning a lot I felt like I was in this


real growth phase and then after that


things seemed to Plateau it wasn't


exciting anymore I wasn't feeling


challenged and I felt misaligned and


that feeling of misalignment it kept


getting bigger and really started to


take a toll on my mental health so I


decided to sign up for therapy sessions


and in my second session my therapist


told me that I need a life coach and I


remember thinking what on Earth how do I


even go about this what's the life coach


going to do let me just try and figure


this out my my own and so I went home


and I spent the next few days alone I


didn't do anything else but really


understand why I was feeling a certain


way why I was feeling misaligned what I


wanted to get out of life and why I was


feeling at the time really caged up and


during those days I realized I had


absolutely no interest in helping CEOs


of large companies or working on billion


doll transactions and the only reason


why I was doing it was firstly the


paycheck and second L the social status


I hate to admit it but I'd be lying if I


said that didn't play a massive part I


was living life solely based on


society's expectations I believed that I


should be grateful for having a somewhat


prestigious job and earning a good


salary because that's what most people


desire but it's not what I desired my


why is to inspire and motivate people to


take control of their finances and


ultimately their lives through sharing


my knowledge of money and my perspective


of money that's what success meant and


means for me that's what I do through my


YouTube channel through my courses


through my free workshops and what I can


tell you now is when you get clear on


what you want and what you want to do


and you live and breathe there and you


become so obsessed with doing that thing


nothing else matters whilst that six


figure bonus which I'll talk about more


in a second was incredibly incredibly


hard to walk away from I had got to a


point where no amount of additional


money would be able to keep me away from


living my why from the outside every


single person I spoke to told me I


should reconsider what I'm about to do


and every single person told me to stay


for a little bit longer so that I can at


least get paid that bonus but at this


point my bigger meaning took over yes I


could go back and cave in and get that


bonus but that would be an excuse for me


to stay for another year and another


year and keep getting paid to live


someone else's Vision rather than


working on my own when it comes to major


life decisions everyone will offer their


opinions usually with the best of


intentions and based on their own


experience but if you can find time for


Solitude and introspection and you can


stop letting other people's opinions


dictate your choices that's when things


really start falling into place maybe


your meaning and your purpose is within


your day job and you don't believe the


common notion that everyone should quit


or you might feel the exact opposite


regardless just make sure that that


decision is yours and not driven by


Society


for a lots of people on social media


following your why is enough to quit


your job but if you've read my other


articles You full well know I've never


endorsed that idea on this platform I've


expressed frustration towards anything


or anyone promoting the notion of


leaving your job to just follow your why


implying that hard work alone will fix


everything and sort everything else out


it takes a specific type of person to


take that level of risk and that person


isn't me and that's precisely why the


the two major factors I mentioned


earlier weren't enough to tip the scale


because let's be honest bills exist


mortgage or rent payments exist


responsibilities exist that's just a


part of life and that is why I wasn't


able to leave sooner than I did I stayed


in banking for longer than I wanted to


because my salary was paying for me to


build up an emergency fund it was paying


for all of my investments my stocks and


shares property it was paying for all


the experiments I was doing behind the


scenes on my side hustles and yes I took


a huge pay cut at the time that I


resigned it was an 84% pay cut but I was


also in a very fortunate position that I


had enough of an emergency fund to last


me 9 months in case something didn't


work out and it was only when my side


hustles had matched my fixed costs plus


an additional 200 or300 more a month was


I comfortable in taking that risk I'm 30


we don't have kids and I knew that a


I'll be a lot happier doing something


that I truly love whilst giving back in


some way and B I'll still be able to


make money from it in a way that's not


tied to me trading my time like having


an impact on other people and getting


paid whilst I'm doing it there's nothing


better than that the reason why this


article makes me smile is because it was a


happi as I had been in a very long time


I finally felt aligned and like I was


getting paid to do something that I


loved what I didn't know as I was


recording that was that I'll be in a


position where I am now which is what I


make is astronomically higher than what


I used to make in banking I just did


what I loved I pushed myself out of my


comfort zone I became so obsessed with


my bigger meaning that I didn't have


time to think about what anyone else


thought I took the risk and I hoped that


the remaining 49% would somehow unfold


at the end of the day this is my journey


this is the path that I've decided to


take and the things that I did to get


there it may not be the right path for


everyone but hopefully by sharing some


of this it will give you the inspiration


and the courage to do the thing that


you've been putting up for so


long.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Article épinglé

Qu'est-ce que le harcèlement moral au travail ?